English > English
Galician > English
Portuguese > English
Spanish > English
Literature and Philosophy
Medicine and Health
TRANSLATION & EDITING (+20 years' experience)
Word, PPT, Excel
LaTex (Overleaf, ShareLaTex, LyX)
CAT software MemoQ and OmegaT
PerfectIt editing software
Certificate in Scientific Writing (Distinction), Stanford University (via Coursera)
Master’s in Translation Studies (1st Class Honours), Dublin City University, Ireland
IOL Diploma in Spanish to English Translation, Institute of Linguists UK
Certificate in Portuguese-English Translation, WLS Ireland
Bachelor of Commerce, University College, Dublin, Ireland
TUTOR in SCIENTIFIC WRITING
University of Vigo (3-day workshops, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
Agéncia de Salut Pública de Barcelona (2-day workshop, 2015)
Hospital de Mataró (short courses, 2014, 2015, 2016)
UAB-UPF-TecnoCampus (post-grad course in research, 2015, 2016)
LECTURER in TRANSLATION
Dublin City University (part-time, 3 months, 2015)
Training in LaTex for language editors, with MET member Susannah Goss.
I translate and edit academic texts to publication standard and provide input and guidance on publication issues.
CLIENTS INCLUDE ....
Spanish universities: UAB, UPF, URV, UPC, UIC, UOC (Catalonia), UVigo, UDC, USC (Galicia), etc
Spanish hospitals/foundations: HSCSP, CSdM, HMataró, HU Miguel Servet, Fundació Taulí, IrsiCaixa, etc
EU bodies: ETF and EFI
Other: Museums, private companies.
Other areas of (particular) interest
Science communication, communication studies, history, economics, geology, current affairs, institutional and legal documents.
Quotations in translation: a case study, July 2013, Translation & Interpreting: http://trans-int.org/index.php/transint/article/view/210/130
Acquiring or enhancing a translation specialism: the corpus-guided approach, July 2008, Journal of Specialised Translation: http://www.jostrans.org.
Translation: a maligned profession. Catalonia Today (newspaper), 17 November 2005.
Translation Revision: Issues, Dilemmas and Good Practices (with Luci Vázquez), Spring Workshops 2010 and 2011 (Barcelona), METM 2010 (Tarragona), METM 2011 (Barcelona).
Corpus-Guided Translation and Editing of Specialist Texts (with ME Kerans and S Waller). Canet del Mar (Barcelona), July 2006. METM 2007. METM 2007. METM 2008.
Editing in LaTex (SENSE 2018)
LaTex Workarounds (METM 2016)
Plagiarism (METM 2015)
Quotations in Translation (METM 2012)
PDF software for translators/editors (MET 2011)
The Social Construction of Culture Markets: Between Incentives to Creation and Access to Culture by López-Sintas J (ed), OmniaScience Publishers, 2016 (translation/copyediting).
Slavery and Antislavery in Spain’s Atlantic Empire by Fradera JM and Schmidt-Nowara C, Berghahn Books, 2013 (several chapters).
The State of the European Union 2012: The Failure of Austerity, Fundación Alternativas-Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, 2012 (several chapters).
Berguedà: la muntanya, la tradició, la taula: Cuina mil.lenari, Arola Editors, 2008.
- Translating art from Spanish
- Editing literary translations: a hands-on experience inspired by MET’s Sea of Words project
- An introduction to editing non-native English for application to different types of text
- Readability: 10 strategies for improving flow in translated or non-English speakers’ texts
- Practical tools for improving text flow: focus on information ordering
- A genre analysis approach to translating and editing research articles
- Signposting the way: using punctuation to improve flow
- Righting citing: principles and strategies for editors and translators
- Managing plagiarism: an approach to dialog between authors and editors
- Communicating with your clients: a systematic approach for translators and editors
- Statistics for editors and translators
- Abstracts and the writing of abstracts
- Story factor: leveraging advanced storytelling techniques to engage and inspire
- Approaches to effective paragraphing: the topic sentence revisited
- Handling plagiarism: an interactive workshop for manuscript editors METM10
- Anatomy, part 2: understanding the skin
- Ready, Steady, Edit: an introduction to editing medical texts
- A keyword corpus to go: exploring the potential of WebBootCat
- Corpus-guided decision-making for editors and translators
- Harnessing the power of the Correspondence-Consistency-Correctness (CCC) Model: a systematic new approach to error detection in manuscripts that promotes professional text improvement
- False friends, Client mapping and Specializing in new field
- When the writing is bad but the analysis is good: a practical exercise in editing ethnographic writing
- Three minisessions:
- Masterclass on AntConc: advanced desktop concordancing and more
- Translating contracts
- Running pre-conference workshops on writing effective scientific articles: course design, presentation and marketing issues
- Understanding our clients: anthropologists
- Post-editing machine translation output
- The discussion section in academic research articles: patterns, practices and insights for editors and translators