Proofreading, Legal English and French tutoring
Law and Patents
I’m a friendly and approachable freelance French to English translator and a lawyer at heart. As the face behind Coley Translates, I help private individuals and international businesses and brands to successfully navigate between the French and English legal jurisdictions and languages.
My journey to making my dream job a reality has been very rewarding.
With an English and French Law degree and several years in the legal profession under my belt, you can see why I have a particular passion for legal and business translation, as well as a wealth of useful experience.
When my love of languages got the better of me, I studied for an MA in Translation Studies at Durham University. While studying for my MA, I focused on legal and business translation, I translated material for the Durham University Oriental Museum, and I was credited as an official translator for my work on UN projects concerning international humanitarian law and human rights.
Since graduating, I’ve established a notable and diverse international client base, including the UN, EU institutions, international law firms and banks. This exemplifies my dedication to providing translation services at the highest level of the profession.
As I was born and raised in Yorkshire, England where we are renowned for our friendliness and approachability, this gives me an edge on client care. I’m always happy to discuss my clients' needs, so that I can provide a service that’s right for them.
I’m based in the beautiful city of Barcelona, but my business is not location dependent. This means that the wonders of the Internet allow me to work for clients all over the world. Another reason why I love my job.
You can find out more about me and what I do at www.coleytranslates.com or get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org to talk about how we can work together.
- In 2019, I was really proud to be acknowledged as one of the two official translators of a UN report on the recruitment of child soldiers in the Democratic Republic of Congo. You can read the report entitled “Our Strength Is In Our Youth”: Child Recruitment and Use by Armed Groups in the Democratic Republic of the Congo 2014 – 2017. Click here.
- I also wrote a blogpost for the Chartered Institute of Linguists about my experience translating this report entitled “Protecting children through words”.
- I regularly blog about life as a translator and legal and business translation at Legally Ginger.
- Business and Practice Translation Conference 2020
- The 2019 Translating Europe Forum held at the European Commission in Brussels
- “Business and Marketing Skills for Advanced Translators”, CIOL Translating Division in London
- “Progressing your career as a legal translator: a day of theory and practice”, CIOL Translating Division in London
- Proofreading workshop, University of Leeds