MET Book Club
Are you keen to read more in your source and target languages? Would you like to discuss your reading with friends and colleagues from MET? Join the MET Book Club!
About once a month, we meet on Zoom to discuss the selected book. Because members choose whether to read in the original or in translation, the mix of languages adds extra linguistic spice to our spirited discussions.
Current reads and upcoming discussion dates
They Called Us Enemy – George Takei, Justin Eisinger, Steven Scott, Harmony Becker (Illustrator)
18 April 2023 at 18:00 (Madrid time)
On Tuesday evenings during November-March and between group discussion sessions, we gather our books and a beverage and meet on Zoom to read in companionable silence for an hour, starting at 18:00 (Madrid time).
We have a private, MET-members-only Facebook group, where we exchange impressions and resources about the reading picks and stay abreast of the silent reading and discussion events. We also maintain a running list of member-recommended reads for those not on Facebook.
If you have any questions about the Book Club, contact Kit Cree.
- Suite Française – Irène Némirovsky, Sandra Smith (Translator)
- Lessons in Chemistry – Bonnie Garmus
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian – Sherman Alexie
- The Liar's Dictionary – Eley Williams
- The Faraway Nearby – Rebecca Solnit
- No One Is Talking About This – Patricia Lockwood
- Jews Don't Count – David Baddiel
- Wide Sargasso Sea – Jean Rhys
- Go, Went, Gone – Jenny Erpenbeck
- Girl, Woman, Other – Bernardine Evaristo
- The Shadow King – Maaza Mengiste
- An Unnecessary Woman – Rabih Alameddine
- Beowulf: A New Translation – Maria Dahvana Headley
- Shuggie Bain – Douglas Stuart
- Stories of Your Life and Others – Ted Chiang
- Born a Crime – Trevor Noah
- Martutene – Ramón Saizarbitoria
- Obabakoak (Obaba) – Bernardo Atxaga
- Patria (Homeland) – Fernando Aramburu