Spanish > English
I am a Chartered Linguist, translator, editor and researcher, working from French and Spanish into my native English. I specialize in translating documents at the intersection between human rights, sustainable development and social sciences. Take a look below to find out more about my background and what I have to offer:
- Enabling partners to communicate clearly across language and cultural boundaries.
- Supporting local communities to make their voices heard at the international level.
- Properly understanding your needs so I can translate your documents in the best possible way, giving you the best value for money possible.
- Helping you to achieve your full potential in the international community.
- Protecting the environment and supporting social entrepreneurship and the third sector.
Why do I translate?
In an ever more globalized world it is unwise to assume that everyone speaks English. Being able to communicate with people who operate in different language cultures is an important part of working together for a more prosperous harmonious world.
For me translation is about breaking down language barriers to bring people together, whether for commercial or social ends. I'm passionate about translation's role in the global community which helps to make me a reliable and approachable translator to work with.
What are my specialist fields?
Development & Governance:
- Social movements & civil society organizations
- Non-governmental organizations, charities & third sector organizations
- Social policy & social protection
- Sustainable Development Goals
- Governance & corporate social responsibility (CSR)
- European Works Councils
- International human rights law
- United Nations conventions
- Indigenous peoples' rights
- Women's rights
- Children's rights
- Gender & gender-based violence (GBV)
International Law & Cooperation:
- European Union
- Council of Europe
- United Nations
- Intergovernmental organizations
- International migration, refugees and asylum seekers
- Disease control
- Social determinants of health
- Human rights to health, food and a healthy environment
- Academic and online articles
- Funding applications
- Project reports
- Policy papers
- Corporate reports
A professional freelance translator since 2012, when I graduated with an MA in Translation, I am still passionate about translation's role in international cooperation. I make sure that I keep my skills up to date through continuous study. To this end, I completed an LLM in International Law, Globalization and Development in 2017 and I regularly attend seminars and training events.
Living and working in French and Spanish speaking countries (Spain, France, Belgium, Senegal) has enabled me to develop an appreciation of cultural elements that could influence the interpretation of a text. I enjoy travelling and experiencing new cultures that feed my passion for languages and international cooperation.
In 2015 I volunteered as a team leader as part of the UK government's International Citizens Service programme with Y Care International/YMCA in Senegal. For 10 weeks I led a team of 10 British and Senegalese volunteers, working with young people on health, development and civil engagement issues. During the placement I participated in training on various subjects including research planning and methods, youth advocacy, peer education, international development and diversity.
In 2013 I undertook a five-month traineeship at the Council of the European Union with the English Translation Unit. This experience allowed me to further hone my translation skills and to experience translating in an institutional environment.
LLM in International Law, Globalization and Development at Oxford Brookes University - Distinction
MA in Translation (French & Spanish > English) from Bristol University - Merit
BA in Spanish and Classical Civilization from Swansea University - First Class Honours (Distinction in Spanish)
Member of the Chartered Institute of Linguists (Chartered Linguist)
Member of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (MITI)
Please see my CPD Record for full details of CPD undertaken: https://whytelanguageservices.com/en/assets/docs/CPD_Record.pdf