German > English
Literature and Philosophy
I have over 20 years’ experience as a translator and copy-editor since obtaining my MSc in Translation and Conference Interpreting from Heriot-Watt University in 1998. My main focus now is on editing academic articles and books written in English primarily by non-native speakers, helping these authors get their research published internationally. I work mostly for universities and research institutes as well as for corporate and individual clients in Germany, Switzerland, the Czech Republic, Poland and Italy, among other countries. My areas of specialisation include sociology, environment, economics, history of science and Irish studies. I also translate from German into English in cooperation with other qualified and experienced professional translators and editors. We always revise each other’s work to ensure that the final translations delivered to the client are of a consistently high quality.
Turner, Linda Jayne, “Customer/Translator Relations – Working Effectively with Translators,” Zeszyty Naukowe Akademii Podlaskiej, no. 82 (2009), Seria: Administracja Zarządzanie (9) 2009, 139–151. http://www.tstefaniuk.uph.edu.pl/zeszyty/archiwalne/82-2009_9.pdf.
Turner, Linda Jayne, “A Network of Professionals: Good Ethical Practices in the Translation Industry.” In Corporate Social Responsibility and Ethical Aspects of Business, edited by Grażyna O’Sullivan, Janusz Toruński, and Henryk Wyrębek, 240–260. Warsaw: Emka Studio, 2010.
Turner, Linda Jayne, “The Value Added to Modern Organisations by Professional Translators.” In Strategic Management and Knowledge Management. How to Use Intellectual Potential of Employees to Create an Open to Change Organization, edited by Grażyna O’Sullivan, Janusz Toruński, and Henryk Wyrębek, 201–218. Warsaw: Emka Studio, 2011.
Turner, Linda Jayne, “Project Management in the Translation Industry.” In Efficiency in Business, edited by Jarosław Stanisław Kardas and Jolanta Brodowska-Szewczuk, 103–119. Siedlce: Siedlce University of Natural Sciences and Humanities, 2012.
Turner, Linda Jayne, “Business Development Opportunities for Professional Translators.” In Business Development Opportunities, edited by Jarosław Stanisław Kardas and Jolanta Brodowska-Szewczuk, 73–82. Siedlce: Siedlce University of Natural Sciences and Humanities, 2013.
- Abstracts and introductions: genre analysis for editors and translators of research articles
- Signposting the way: using punctuation to improve flow
- Editing humanities and social science texts: theory and practice
- Spotlight on specialization: a three-part medley
- Practical stats, part 1
- Practical stats, part 2
- Running pre-conference workshops on writing effective scientific articles: course design, presentation and marketing issues
- Grammar pathway: subjunctives in English
- Editing theses and dissertations
- Knowledge update: keyboard shortcuts — expanding your repertoire
- It needs only a light edit:
- Translating for the art world
- Translation revision and beyond
- Advanced Word skills for editors and translators
- Perfecting it with PerfectIt: keeping your writing in check
Attended BP16, Prague, Czech Republic
Participated in and presented at the following conferences at the Faculty of Management (later Faculty of Economic and Legal Sciences) at Siedlce University of Natural Sciences and Humanities, Poland:
- Human Factor in Business (2008)
- CSR and Business Ethics (2009)
- Strategic Management and Knowledge Management (2010)
- Efficiency in Business (2012)
- Business Development Opportunities (2013)
Attended the following Proz.com online training courses:
- A translator's guide to avoiding physical burnout
- Basic Ergonomics for the Home Office
- Be Special II: Standing Out in the Language Services Industry
- Becoming an Outsourcer: Your Business Plan
- Easy & Fun Project Management for the Freelancer in the 21st Century (Introduction)
- Eat well, translate better
- Effective Email Communication with the Customer for a Translator
- Five Keys to Effective Search of High-End Clients for a Translator
- Grow Your Business and Income Faster
- Improving Effectiveness of Multi-Location Teams - “How do you know they’re working?”
- Is The Customer Always Right?
- Making More Money: Build Win-Win Relationships with Clients
- Making More Money: Negotiation & Communication Skills
- Making More Money: Present Yourself Professionally to Attract Clients
- Making More Money: Translate More, More Easily
- The price is right – pricing strategies for your translation services
- Translation project management
- Yoga for translators: increase your concentration and fight the sitting disease