Michael Farrell is primarily a freelance translator and transcreator. Over the years he has acquired experience in the cultural tourism field and in transcreating advertising copy and press releases, chiefly for the promotion of technology products. Besides this, he is also an untenured lecturer in post-editing, machine translation and computer tools for translators at the International University of Languages and Media (IULM), Milan, Italy, the developer of the terminology search tool IntelliWebSearch, a qualified member of the Italian Association of Translators and Interpreters (AITI).
- Fabio Andreolli, New generation photovoltaics: A Guide to Design and Implementation, Dario Flaccovio Editore Srl, Palermo, 2014.
- Various Authors, The Silver Spoon, Phaidon Press Limited, New York, 2005 (member of the translation team).
- Pier Paolo Preti, A Hundred Years on the Sea, Coeclerici SpA, Milan, 2004.
Academic papers and articles
- Machine Translation Markers in Post-Edited Machine Translation Output, Translating and the Computer 40: proceedings. Asling: International Society for Advancement in Language Technology, 15-16 November 2018; pp. 50‑59
- Raw Output Evaluator, a Freeware Tool for Manually Assessing Raw Outputs from Different Machine Translation Engines, Translating and the Computer 40: proceedings. Asling: International Society for Advancement in Language Technology, 15-16 November 2018; pp. 38‑49
- IntelliWebSearch: a software tool for translators, interpreters, editors and terminologists, Le professioni del traduttore, December 2017, pp. 71–76
- Building a Custom Machine Translation Engine as part of a Postgraduate University Course: a Case Study, Translating and the Computer 39: proceedings. Asling: International Society for Advancement in Language Technology, 16-17 November 2017; pp. 35-39
- Client Satisfaction Surveys for Freelance Translators, American Translators Association Chronicle, Jan/Feb 2016; pp. 13-15
- Solving terminology problems more quickly with ‘IntelliWebSearch (Almost) Unlimited’, Translating and the Computer 36: proceedings. Asling: International Society for Advancement in Language Technology, 27-28 November 2014; pp. 211-216
- Client Satisfaction Surveys for Freelance Translators, Man vs. Machine? XXth FIT World Congress: proceedings. Fédération Internationale des Traducteurs, 4-6 August 2014; Volume II, pp. 856-862
- Solving Terminology Problems More Quickly: IntelliWebSearch, Man vs. Machine? XXth FIT World Congress: proceedings. Fédération Internationale des Traducteurs, 4-6 August 2014; Volume I, pp. 314-317
- Corpus guidance: a tool for understanding professional language usage, change, and variety
- The comma, false friends and transcreation (MET medley, Milan 2018)
- Wine words – translating in the wine world
- Tips and tools from the Hive, cutting out source-language interference, is full post-editing a pipe dream? (MET medley, Nantes 2019)
- Phrasal verbs: “Bring ’em on!” / Modal verbs: “Might you be in the mood?”
- A keyword corpus to go: exploring the potential of WebBootCat
- Signposting the way: using punctuation to improve flow
- Editing non-native English
- Running pre-conference workshops on writing effective scientific articles: course design, presentation and marketing issues
- Beyond terms: best practices in concept-oriented terminology management
- Translating for the art world