I'm a former Registered General Nurse with more than 25 years' experience in medical and pharmaceutical translations.
In my day to day work, I translate clinical trial documentation, research articles for publication in medical journals, medical reports, and clinical practice guidelines. I work in many fields of medicine, but am particularly experienced in cardiology.
I have served on MET's Council since 2016 and was elected Chair in October 2020.
Health Information on the Move. ITI bulletin ISSN-0954-1799 May-June 2022
A review of the new Studio 2021. The Tool Box Journal October 2020
An introduction to translation memory. SDL.com January 2019
Using corpora to query cardiology terminology. Signs & Symptoms of Translation April 2017
How to translate a PDF in SDL Trados Studio. SDL.com January 2017
A translator's conversion to a mechanical keyboard. KeyboardCo.com April 2016
The new slate in 'translate'. ITI bulletin ISSN-0954-1799 Jan-Feb 2016
The apprentice. ITI bulletin ISSN-0954-1799 Jul-Aug 2015
Cosnautas: Good news for Spanish to English translators? Panace@. Vol XV. 39, 2014
In search of equivalence. ITI bulletin ISSN-0954-1799 Nov-Dec 2014
Five terms in informed consent forms. Cosnautas blog October 2013
A Spanish-English statistics glossary for clinical trials. Signs & Symptoms of Translation October 2012
A translator's guide to the EMA templates. Signs & Symptoms of Translation May 2012
- Anatomy, part 2: understanding the skin
- Translating contracts
- Beat the agencies at their own game: develop a watertight translation workflow process
- Perfecting it with PerfectIt: keeping your writing in check
- Corpus building and mining with Sketch Engine
- Phrasal verbs: “Bring ’em on!” / Modal verbs: “Might you be in the mood?”
- Seeing bright light at the end of the tunnel: successful, efficient proofreading
- Spotlight on specialization: a three-part medley
- Abstracts and introductions: genre analysis for editors and translators of research articles
- Corpus creation and analysis using AntConc 4
- Financial planning for the self-employed – Effective conversations and presentations
- Lifehacks for language professionals: ergonomics and managing stress
- Three minisessions:
- Using wildcards in Microsoft Word search-and-replace routines: in search of speed and consistency
- Corpus-guided decision-making for editors and translators
- Anatomy, part 3: the nervous system, an overview for English language specialists
- Masterclass on AntConc: advanced desktop concordancing and more
- Relatives: the clause type — and why people still argue about 'which'
- The comma: to pause or to parse?
- Approaches to effective paragraphing: the topic sentence revisited
- Excel for Wordies
- The lost art of parsing: how understanding the parts of speech can be a valuable tool for language professionals
- Two aspects of information ordering that affect flow within sentences and beyond